Mushroom and Blue Cheese Hors d'œuvre

K's teachers invited me to come cook with the kids one day in November, and so the three of us (D, K and I) have been mulling over the options. K loves my ramekin creations, but the thought of little hands grabbing ceramic dishes out of the oven worried me. So we tried out a simple but fun recipe today, which I'm sure is part dredged-up memory of cocktail party appetizers, and part "staring into the fridge" inspiration. I wanted to make sure that this would be something that the kids could actually create along with me - it had to be safe, easy, tasty, and as messy as possible! I think the following meets all the criteria.


Ingredients:
Button mushrooms, about 2 to 4 per person depending on the size of the mushrooms
Crumbled blue cheese: One table spoon per mushroom [I plan to substitute simple cheddar cheese for the school cooking experience]
Melted butter to prep the mushroom
  • Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
  • Use a butter knife to pop the stem off the mushroom, then dice the stems. The kids needed some help with getting the stems out, but liked the dicing since it was pretty easy
  • Mix diced stems and cheese
  • Brush melted butter on the body of the mushroom, inside and out
  • Spoon the stem and cheese mix into the hollow of the mushroom. The kids just used their fingers to get the mix in
  • Line a baking sheet with wax paper, them place the mushrooms about an inch apart (since they tend to leach out some of the liquids and you don't want a soggy mess at the end)
  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes
  • Serve hot or cool - works either way
  • I think I'd like to try this with more pepper, crushed chillies, coriander, etc. Maybe a variety tray of these mushroom pies, with one spice added in each.... I'll tell you how that works out. For now, the kids and I will go with the cheese version. D loved the blue cheese version, K voted that we go with cheddar for his friends. More on that after our school kitchen adventure!
Any suggestions for improvements or variations you've tried?

Comments