Deepa's Carrot Halva



"Serious competition from the Nellari family", said my brother-in-law, as he emailed me my sister's recipe. I've eaten my sister's desserts and have to admit she can do some magic in that department. Her Halva is delicious.
[For the sociologists out there, Nellari is my matrilineal family name.]

Ingredients:

Four Cups Grated carrots
12 Oz Evaporated SkimMilk
1/2 cup sugar or sugar alternate
Sliced Almonds
3-4 pods cardomom
2-3 drops Rose waterPinch of saffron
  • Mix carrots, sugar and evaporated milk in a pan and bring to boil.
  • Cook until all the milk has been absorbed.
  • Add rose water, crushedcardomom, almonds and mix well.
  • Spread the Halva in a platter to 1inch thickness, garnish with almond slices.
  • Maybe served hot or cold.Also can be combined with ice cream.
  • Optional ingredients include raisins, lightly fried in butter and mixed in towards the end of step one

Comments