Crunchy Okra: Simple but perfect


I've tended to avoid Okra - it has the awful habit of going all mushy on me. It was the veggie that filled me with foreboding...until this weekend. Friends R&V showed me how to ensure that you can get to a nice crunchy side-dish, without emptying out a bottle of oil at that! The key is to wash the okra, then pat dry thoroughly before cutting. As simple as that. I suspect my mother has told me this at some point, but I guess I just never gave the okra time to dry out properly.
Ingredients:
Two pounds of okra
Two teaspoons of salt
One teaspoon garam masala
One teaspoon coriander powder
About three tablespoons of oil

- Start by cutting off the okra tops, then cut the okra down the middle into two long pieces
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet or saucepan, and toss in the okra
- Add salt and saute the okra, stirring occasionally as it browns
- As the okra gets to be uniformly brown, put in the garam masala and coriander and stir in thoroughly
- It's ready to go!
- Here's R, and the okra dish her lil' uns are addicted to!

Comments